Thursday, September 6, 2012

It's really hot here

I don't do well in heat.  Luckily, I have amassed quite the collection of "sweat rags", ranging from gym towels to bandanas to a number of gorgeously or hilariously patterned Japanese handkerchiefs.  Anyways, I can't help but sweat 60% of the day, especially as most buildings including the hospital are not air conditioned.

Today was another hot day, 34 C (93 F).  Keep in mind we are south of Ecuador and the equator, thus it's still winter here.  Imagine that.

I was talking to a very well-spoken man with Chagas cardiomyopathy, and he was telling me about how he tried taking veterinary medications to help himself.   Halfway through, he stopped and reached for a black plastic bag on the small table separating his bed from his neighbors.  He took out his roll of toilet paper, removed 4 squares, folded them, and handed them to me, indicating that I could use them to wipe my beading forehead.  So sweet.

In worse news, he has atrial fibrillation, av block, and a failing heart.  Ejection fraction is 27%.  I'd look up mortality statistics for all you non-medics, but suffice it to say his prognosis is extremely poor.  It's going to be a long year, but at least being here puts things in context- research is important.  

1 comment:

I know it might take a few clicks to make a comment but I really appreciate hearing from everyone! It can be hard to put yourself out there on the internet but great to know people are listening : )

p.s. If you can, sign your name please!