Friday, May 3, 2013

bailamos!

From October to January, my social life revolved around one thing: dance classes.  Salsa and bachata.  It was the only thing Jackie and I had, and so we did our makeup and put on the shirt we thought would be (1) least un-flattering (the floor to ceiling mirrors give no mercy) and (2) show sweat stains the least.  Because it was summer in Bolivia, and it was HOT and HUMID.  I brought a sweat rag (handkerchief, even small towel at times) but it would be a daily battle of when in the dance moves I could get away with wiping my forehead on my sleeve or rag.

Anyways, after rotating through a variety of partners, of whom I know very little about besides how rigid they lead and how much hip shaking they allow themselves, I think I have learned to dance!  Much more comfortable with salsa than bachata (still get my feet mixed up), which I hope to use back in the States.

What is bachata?  A basic four step, that can be quite sexy... or not (I need some practice...).  For a good song you might now, check out Prince Royce's remake of "Stand By Me", or my favorite bachata song.

I'm told now dance Cuban style salsa, but what the heck do I know?  I have just learned to repeat this simple step with a few alterations, and go wherever the lead takes me.  To get to NY or LA style, I'll have to add in some steps on the off-beats (not sure how this will work).  And do "shines", where the couple breaks up to do a little solo number.  Eek!  I'll hold off on that for now.

We have only gone "out" about twice to dance salsa, and generally we sit in the corner until someone from dance class pities us.  Luckily, Miguel Angel offered to dance with us.  Watch me dance!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TNgF6sJV1s8

UPDATE:  Here are two more videos to enjoy!

From our Despedida- Going away party, dancing with Fernando! This is bachata

At dance class.  Jackie's guy wasn't quite getting the moves

1 comment:

  1. Go Emi!!! I think it's so cool you learned to salsa *in* a country where it's a part of their culture. You'll have to give me some tips next time I see you!!

    ReplyDelete

I know it might take a few clicks to make a comment but I really appreciate hearing from everyone! It can be hard to put yourself out there on the internet but great to know people are listening : )

p.s. If you can, sign your name please!