Friday, October 19, 2012

Nate-in-Bolivia!



Nate came to visit me!  So happy to have gotten the chance to show him around and hear his Espanish improve.  We spent 4 days around Amazonian Santa Cruz (he admitted, it’s not the greatest tourist city but we’ve carved ourselves a pretty darn good life here) and then 5 days in the Andean city, La Paz.  I convinced him to pitch a story on the coca leaf from the perspective here- part of the ancient culture turned terrible drug by Westerners.
This isn't an exercise in the artistic use of diminishing size;
Nate just towers over everyone here
(wait to see him try and fit into a Bolivian kayak...!)



Didn’t realize how much I missed him and home until he just left a few hours ago.  Upset and alone riding back from the Santa Cruz airport, I saw a man walking and weaving through the cars selling 3 dustpans (not the brushes, just the pan) for $3.  Just as I am wondering who would ever buy a dustpan off the street, the taxi next to us looks happily surprised and takes one!  Guess it's a successful business model here?  I have a lot more to learn and a lot more to go, and Jackie is waiting for me at the hospital to help with the patients!

2 comments:

  1. Hey Emisita (I think this is preferable to Emita.)! I'm glad you got to see Nate, even if it made you sad to see him leave. Hope you swing back into the routine (I'm presuming there is a routine now.) soon.
    Love & God's Blessings,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great visit! Cannot wait to see more pictures. :)

    ReplyDelete

I know it might take a few clicks to make a comment but I really appreciate hearing from everyone! It can be hard to put yourself out there on the internet but great to know people are listening : )

p.s. If you can, sign your name please!