Friday, October 12, 2012

lexicologita


n. a little bit of lexicology (Spanglish)

If you have the chance, read Steven Pinker’s work on the fascinating influence that language has to structure our world, and vise versa.  It’s fun learning Spanish as I pick up nuances of words and language.  Anyways, here’s a reason why I am enchanted with and enamored by Spanish:

I love small things.  Cute spoons, little cups, bite size pastries, mini magnets, you name it.  In Spanish, every noun can be easily turned into a smaller version by adding “-ito” or “-ita” to the end of the word.

“Viejos” = old people, an insult I was told not to use à “Viejitos” = the endearing old couple in our study
“Doctora” = what I am not à  “Doctorita” = the playful way some of the patients address me
“poco” = a little bit à “poquito” = a littler bit à “poquitito” = the littlest bit possible (I use this word a lot when trying to mooch haha)

2 comments:

  1. Charming! I'm tempted to call you Emita!

    ReplyDelete
  2. umm you forgot treeito and treeita. you leave for one day and forget all about them. not cool

    ReplyDelete

I know it might take a few clicks to make a comment but I really appreciate hearing from everyone! It can be hard to put yourself out there on the internet but great to know people are listening : )

p.s. If you can, sign your name please!