Sunday, November 18, 2012

Ode to Papaya (attempt 1 of many)

I love papaya!  I really, really love papaya!  It's sooo delicious.  And so fresh.  And although a few months before I was horrified by the almost repugnant aroma inside, now it just smells sweet and tempting (when I first starting getting to like it, I had to hold my breath sometimes while eating it as not to smell it).  The little slimy peppercorn like seeds used to freak me out, but they just make me laugh and excited to feast.  Poor Jackie has to listen to this monologue every other day, and even poorer Jackie hasn't converted to a papaya lover!

Oh papaya, I already can't stop thinking about how I'll miss you.  Buying one the size of my head for $1-2.  Then sometimes eating it all by accident while cutting it.  Great in a blender with just about anything.  More vitamin C than oranges, and a laundry list of other vitamins and minerals (including calcium!).   Tons of carotene (think "carrots"), which I'm sure will some day soon cause my palms to turn orange. I could write about you forever, papaya.  I'm sorry it took me so long to write this post about you.

More fun facts: Unripe papaya contains the enzyme papain.  This is used as a meat tenderizer, and has also been used to induce abortions and help Harrison Ford's ruptured disk in Temple of Doom.  Unripe papaya also oozes latex, strangely enough.
makes me so happy : )

3 comments:

  1. haha this should be called "an ode to papaya". and you researched papaya uses? i feel like it's time for me to come home...

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha yeah, come home jacqueline! will you like papaya by then? i renamed the post, but i still feel like I can never do papaya justice, unless i was like John Keat's protege. how do you express a love so strong??

    ha yeah kara i totally thought latex was some weird thing that magically came from a pot of chemicals. but no, papaya has it!

    ReplyDelete

I know it might take a few clicks to make a comment but I really appreciate hearing from everyone! It can be hard to put yourself out there on the internet but great to know people are listening : )

p.s. If you can, sign your name please!