Sunday, November 11, 2012

Everyday People

Here are some people I met or saw this weekend:

-Two children, about 8 and 13, sitting on a tarp selling toys on the street (I had just seen a commercial advising against endorsing child labor)

-A taxi driver who lived in Japan for 18 years and spoke Japanese to me (unfortunately, I can hardly speak a sentence in it anymore).  He even has been to Tsu, the city where I worked!

-A lady holding her baby awkwardly while walking in front of me.  I sped up in front of her to confirm my suspicion-  her shirt was pulled down to walk and breastfeed simultaneously.

-An 11 year-old girl who watched me read the newspaper.  I tried to explain Obama to her, then I tried to explain taxes to her (the article was about Obama's plan to raise taxes for the rich).  Then I gave up and we just looked at inappropriate dresses together (there is usually a bizarrely sexy photoshoot of teen girls for their quinceaƱeras).  I avoided the Victoria Secret fashion show spread.

-Two grown men, total strangers to each other, sharing the front seat of the shared taxi we were riding in.

-A lady who gave me a $3 pedicure and then was confused by my $1.50 tip, until she understood it was a tip and gave me a huge hug

-A 50 year old obese woman walking around a store in her bra finding the right size shirt for herself
-A lady selling illegal DVDs and Bluerays on the street.  I asked her for a phone card, and she had me sit there and guard her stack of movies and her piece of chocolate cake while she ran to get me a card from a few blocks away.

-My beautiful niece and nephew on Skype!  Daniel was playing good guy/bad guy with Ojichan ("grandfather" in Japanese, aka my dad) and taking cheap shots at his crotch ha.  Malea was being her silly giggly self, and decided to name our houseplant "doodeedoodabat"

Vampire Family: Malea, Daniel, and Misa
visit to the senior citizens' home in South Carolina
-

No comments:

Post a Comment

I know it might take a few clicks to make a comment but I really appreciate hearing from everyone! It can be hard to put yourself out there on the internet but great to know people are listening : )

p.s. If you can, sign your name please!