Monday, March 24, 2014

Match Day!












So after a year of applying to residencies, writing essays, getting letters of recommendation, flying around the country to visit 19 fantastic schools ranging from Seattle to San Diego to New Orleans to Boston... came Match Day.


To make sure each and every residency spot gets filled, there is a match system. Which means that each person makes a list of places they was to go, and each residency program makes a list of residents they would like (consisting of those 10-30% of applicants whom they invited to interview). Then it goes through an algorithm for 4 weeks, and everyone gets an envelope that says the name of their future residency (which is 3-7 years, depending on residency). So for me, I was looking for internal medicine residencies with a primary care program, hispanic population, good dating city, global health opportunities, and of course a rigorous training.

Our school hands out our envelopes at 12 pm on March 21. However, since we are in Bolivia, we get an email at 1 pm. Jackie and I went to the butterfly reserve/resort getaway outside of the city for the day with our friend Enzo. At 12 pm, Jackie began checking Facebook, and we squealed with joy as friends posted their happy futures online for us to see. At 12:55, Jackie got an email that let her know she was going to her #1 choice- Yale!  I wasn't ready.  My life comes in waves of huge changes. I sat for about 5 minutes just tearing up, knowing everything would change. Then I jumped in the pool, came out, dried my hands and checked my iPhone.  My assignment? Primary Care (part of internal medicine) at University of Pennsylvania! I was thrilled. My fear was replaced with relief and happiness. And then I had a freaking awesome day in Bolivia. Life isn't perfect, and I still have a long way to go to settling down one day. But things aren't terrible for the moment I suppose : ) 

Thanks to everyone for the love and support to get me this far. I'll need more of that to make it through intern year, but I know where to find it... Or do come visit Philly in the next three years!







Leaf cutter ants! It's like they hold up
signs saying "I'm here! Don't step on me!"
  


 

Steak dinner for 8 and a bottle of wine? $120
Great group to celebrate with? Wouldn't trade it for the world
Carlos, Jackie, Enzo, Anne, Vishal, Lulu, Emi, Leny
Steak... and in Bolivia,
it's free range!
(I'm a wanna-be-vegetarian!
... maybe starting in Philly?)
Happy Match Day!  Enzo finishing up med school here, Jackie off to Yale, and me off to UPenn!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Emi. Congratulations!!! We're thrilled for you! (And uber-proud too!) Please let us know when you're back in NYC.

    Love,
    Uncle Mike & Aunt Dina

    ReplyDelete

I know it might take a few clicks to make a comment but I really appreciate hearing from everyone! It can be hard to put yourself out there on the internet but great to know people are listening : )

p.s. If you can, sign your name please!