Thursday, March 13, 2014

Continuity

Jackie, Maria, Lourdes, and I. Verbal photo consent and
big hugs given. And a request to upload this to "Face"
(what they call Facebook). We loved Lourdes's shirt!
In medicine, we talk about continuity. Continuity of care. Patient panels. Transitions to outpatient. Oooo primary care!

Anyways, so Jackie and I came back to do follow-ups on select patients (about 80-100 people). This week we are calling them back to take blood samples, a new EKG, +/- an echo. We don't pay them, as it very quickly becomes an ethical question if by offering payment we are only getting the poorest because they have to versus their willing participation. So we offer crackers, a free blood pressure measurement, and free use of the scale (which, per prior post, costs 1 Boliviano).

I hope to work one day where I can work with patients over time. Seeing these folk come back has been such a joy : )

This one guy was funny. After a very awkward visit of little conversation (most chat a bit with at the conversation starters), I prepped him to leave while Jackie was in the room. He sat there awkwardly then ventured in Spanish, "Where's Yackie?". Jackie's face lit up. "I'm Jackie!". "No, I knew a Jackie, she used to work on this project, it wasn't you." We were confused. He continued, "and there was another doctorita, part Asian, like one parent came from Japan or something".  "That's me!" I said. "No, no, it wasn't either of you. I wonder what happened to them".  Hahahah. Odd...

2 comments:

  1. Hi Yakie and Emi! So great to hear what you are up to and that you are having a blast there. Live it up. I miss you back here, especially getting anxious for match day! You'll be with us all in spirit, I'm sure. Emi, that is really a beautiful painting! Worth way more than a dollar. I'd pay a bundle for that if you ever want to paint some more back here :)

    seize the carp.

    -Kylie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha Funny! Did he believe you at the end ? Cathy

    ReplyDelete

I know it might take a few clicks to make a comment but I really appreciate hearing from everyone! It can be hard to put yourself out there on the internet but great to know people are listening : )

p.s. If you can, sign your name please!