Saturday, February 15, 2014

Can you unlock your cell phone?

The unlocking kit, priced
$40-$60 at the market
Well I did! But before writing, I just did a lot of online searching to make sure it's not terribly illegal. I am still looking for a job, you know.

In January 2013, the cell phone carriers were protected under the DCMA (Digital Copyright Millennium Act, a noteworthy law from 1998 where congress and Clinton unanimously agreed that it should be illegal to disseminate devices or services that work to circumvent copyright). This meant that cell phones were "locked" under a carrier, and unable to switch SIM cards to another.

Dialing *123# is an easy
way to see usage. Call
me! +591 7532 0896
Then later in November 2013, angry consumers used an online White House Petition, which is guaranteed a response if it gets over 100,000 signatures in 30 days, on any matter (petitions.whitehouse.gov)! Anyways Obama took notice, and ultimately 5 carriers agreed to provide unlocked phones or create and easy unlocking system after a contract was carried through.

Anyways, Bolivia has been unlocking cell phones for years. So today I went to the cell phone market (>30 stores specializing in phones) to get mine unlocked for $40. Super simple! I can now sign up for internet, on a daily basis its $0.30 for 55MB if I don't want to buy a package. Calls and texts are on a simple pre-paid basis (free using Whatsapp- download it!). Such reasonable prices. But I must admit I am a bit sad that gone are the days when people are not perpetually connected to the internet. Luckily, when out in Bolivia, I shouldn't be flashing my iPhone around, so good incentive to put it down : )

No comments:

Post a Comment

I know it might take a few clicks to make a comment but I really appreciate hearing from everyone! It can be hard to put yourself out there on the internet but great to know people are listening : )

p.s. If you can, sign your name please!