Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Carnaval 2013

More foam

every set of dancers had a big band
close behind
foam wars above on the bleachers
sometimes I tried to participate but ended up getting creamed
the dances are simple but full of energy
and crazy hats

luckily we sat on the bottoms rows
and could jump over the gate
to snap photos

all ages welcome 


what masks they had

dance parties in the street between groups in the parade

these african descendants living outside
La Paz would take to the street with their
music during lulls.  they told me about
how their ancestors were brought by the
Spaniards long ago, and they love Bolivia
especially on days like Carnaval







the theme is a cultural mix of old Andean and later Catholic cultures, here an angel in front of diabladas (devils, pic above)
it may appear I am happily dancing alongside the lead angel in this troop
instead, I had been sent by some middle aged men who "knew him" to deliver this water as the dancers had miles left
but he just ignored me for a good 15 meters as I failed to complete my task

no south american parade would be
complete without these dashing damas

the truck drivers had a huge
procession in the parade


bugs, furry hugs, and giant bears

4 comments:

I know it might take a few clicks to make a comment but I really appreciate hearing from everyone! It can be hard to put yourself out there on the internet but great to know people are listening : )

p.s. If you can, sign your name please!